While you can’t control when your boss will call with an urgent situation or need to respond to an urgent situation in the middle of the night, there are somethings you can do to make sure you integrate your work with your life and still feel like you can maintain your sanity.
Accept what you cannot change. Assume you’ll be interrupted by a text message, phone call, or email outside of work.
When you’re facing that situation, take a deep breath.
Next, answer that phone call, send that text message or reply to that email. Once it’s done, it’ll be over with and you can go back to your life.
When you do this, you won’t be annoyed as much when it happens.
You’ve been here before.
After taking a moment to check one email, one email mail turns into two. Then, two emails turn into more.
Looking up at the clock, you’ve lost 45 minutes.
Don’t let this happen to you!
- Turn off all notifications.
- Put your computer and phone in do-not-disturb mode. This will help you stay in the “zone” for a longer period and not fall into the trap of answering messages as you get them.
- Schedule in a few times of the day to check your email. As a result, you will feel less stressed and more productive because of it.
Prioritize your health. Sleep, healthy meals, stress release and doctors’ appointments are all necessary for you to stay on top of your game. You need to ask yourself, “what will I gain if I’m too sick to perform?”
- Set yourself up for success by scheduling your doctor’s appointments and sticking to them.
- Use simple meal prep techniques to help you avoid grabbing sugary snacks while you’re on the go.
- Treat yourself to a massage/spa day or maybe even a true straight razor shave from a real barber if you’re a guy to help you relax. Learn meditation techniques to help you focus and calm your mind.
While you’re integrating your work with your life make sure you maintain some way to release stress. For me it’s getting a massage two times a month, walking after work and meditation.
Which one of these can you implement today? How integrate your work with your life and keep your sanity? What could you do more (or less of)?